The Townsite of Redwood Meadows Administration Society is a “people” based municipal style of government under the Societies Act (1986). The Society is a corporation under the Societies Act. Its mandate is to “operate similar to a municipality”.
The Society is governed by a Town Council (Board of Directors) comprised of a Mayor (President) and six Councillors (Directors). Elections occur every four years. The last election took place in October 2013.
As of 1986, Town Council was able to to complete the following governance and governmental inititatives:
- sign a ground-breaking Administration Agreement with Tsuut’ina Nation to assumer operation of the town.
- operate Redwood Meadows like a municipality.
- secure the Department of Education’s creation of Alberta School District #5550, attached to the Rockeyview School Division.
- secure a provincial Order-in-Council providing Redwood Meadows FULL equivalent funding from Municipal Affairs.
Since incorporation, Council and Administration has also been able to accomplish the following:
- constrcuct a firehall (1988)
- build a ball diamond, tennis and basketball courts, skate park, ice rink with a “Zamboni”, palygrounds, etc.
- build Redwood House (1991) housing administration offices and a community hall used as a focal pouint for the community and rental spaces for a variety of functions.
- spend considerable sums maintaining and upgrading infrastructure.
- contruct a highway Sound Berm north of the firehall entrance.
- develop and implement a community-wide Investment Plan (2001) to deal with lease issues – know as the Property Value Plan (PVP).
- build a berm to protect us from the Elbow River, upgraded in 2015/16 after the 2013 flood.
- New lease talks have begun with the Tsuut’ina Nation in 2015 and will be completed in 2018